Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Overcoming Bias

Overcoming Bias is my favorite blog. I've always thought of myself as a highly rational person, but after spending about 40 hours reading the series on rationality by Eliezer Yudkowsky, I've realized that the methodology of rationality is a lot more subtle and fascinating than I thought. It's fair to say this blog has changed my life more than anything else I've read in the last year. Here is one great quote among many:
It is a corruption of curiosity to prefer the question to its answer. Yet people seem to get a tremendous emotional kick out of not knowing something. Worse, they think that the mysteriousness of a mysterious phenomena indicates a special quality of the phenomenon itself, inferring that it is surely different-in-kind from phenomena labeled "understood". If we are ignorant about a phenomenon, that is a fact about our state of mind, not a fact about the phenomenon itself.

No comments: