Saturday, May 29, 2010

Surreal Comfort

The BP oil spill is a truly massive disaster. I feel sad and angry about it, but I have to be honest: I don't live on the Gulf Coast, and I'm not affected at all.

Have you ever noticed how the world truly seems to be on the brink of going to shit, but your own life is great? It always seems like the worst is yet to come, like we're pushing our ecosystem and our economic system past some sort of point of no return and it's all just going to spiral into some sort of permanent worldwide collapse.

But in my own life, I live comfortably and do whatever I want, constantly learn cool new things, and buy progressively more awesome wireless-enabled devices with touch screens. Sometimes I wish I were allotted a fair individual portion of suffering after a tragedy like the BP spill. Because carrying on with my daily routine in my beautiful suburb, comfort intact, is surreal.

No comments: