Monday, January 23, 2006

Time Survey


Do not look at a clock until you answer this question:
What time is it? Try to guess it down to the minute.

Check your answer. How far off were you? It's extremely rare to be off by two hours or more. No doubt the vast majority of American adults can pinpoint it to within an hour.

What do you suppose is the median amount of minutes by which people are off? My guess is 5 to 10 minutes.

I conducted an informal survey by IMing the 19 people from my AIM buddy list who were at their computers during the interval of 9:50pm - 10:05pm PST (mostly teenagers). Here are their responses (number of minutes after (+) or before (-) the actual time when they responded), as well as comments they subsequently IMed.

Response: Comments:
-5 lol
-1 well i saw it was 9:59 a when i came back to the computer [6 minutes ago]
-1 i just knew cuz 24 just ended
-2 my nigga
+1 shit, it's 9:52
+6  
-6  
+2 10 minutes earlier i was looking at my watch.
0 lol i looked at a clock a few mins ago, just woke up from a nap
-1 dude, i actually did it for real, i didnt look
0 i looked moments before reading your message because i have to get my laundry
-7  
-3 close
0 holy shit, I swear I didn't look at a clock. i just remember it was around 9:47 a few [9] minutes ago when I called someone
+15 so what are u trying figure out
+2  
0 i was right
-25 oops. oh well.
Liron wtf  

Absolute deviation from the actual time:
Mean: 4.3 minutes
Median: 2 minutes

Wow, so the average teenager at their computer is going to be off by just a couple minutes -- somewhat more accurate than I expected. Maybe a bit too accurate... see the time experiment.

Signed deviation from the actual time:
Mean: -1.4 minutes
Median: -0.5 minutes

The signed deviation from the actual time is different from the statistic I set out to get -- it detects whether the entire population has a tendency to guess the time early or late. The numbers I got have no statistical significance, but it would be interesting to take a sample of thousands of responses nationwide and compare them to standard time to see if the nation is running early or late at all.

No comments: