Friday, December 09, 2005

My Favorite Author

Marshall Brain is my favorite author.

He is best known as the creator of HowStuffWorks, which is a great website, so that by itself makes him pretty awesome. But Marshall Brain has also written over a dozen blogs, essays, and even books, all of which are available online and for free. Seriously, the guy probably sits down at his computer and writes for a few hours each day.

What he comes up with is fascinating. These are some of my favorite pages:

Robotic Nation - A mind-blowing, but probably accurate vision of robots in the next few decades. Also, why a robot will probably take your job and cut your career short, even if your job is white-collar.

The Day You Discard Your Body - Yes, there will be a day in the next few decades when you literally remove your brain from your physical body, store it in a vault, and live life in the virtual world. No kidding.

Why Does God Hate Amputees? - Who is God, and why does he hate amputees?

The writing style is totally unique. Marshall Brain talks to you directly, asking you questions, joking with you, but also challenging you. I'm not sure how he always does it, but he is brilliant at writing clear explanations of complex concepts.

I usually don't declare a "favorite" anything, but I am making an exception. If Marshall Brain writes something, I will read it. It's interesting that my entire picture of him comes from his own writings (well, also from his picture). But I don't just admire his works, I admire him as a person.

No comments: